Ramchandra P Patil
Independent HR Consultant
General Manager-Talent Management
Importance of Effective Feedback and Counselling Employees
The continuous discussion or quality dialogue between manager and employee is really important. Feedback is a critical element of this quality dialogue and is the key for improving performance. Honest feedback helps employees how they are doing and what they need to change/learn to improve further.
Goal setting at the beginning of performance cycle is the starting point. If we get goal setting right, then everybody will be clear about their roles & responsibilities. Further, it will allow us to review employee performance against pre-decided performance indicators and provide developmental feedback and counseling to employees during the year and at the end of the year.
Giving and receiving feedback has clear benefits.
The Individual Employee
- Makes clear what is needed from them, how they are doing, and how they can improve
- Instills a feeling of support and recognition thereby increasing engagement
- Builds team and peer group performance
- Everyone understands their role in the team, and what is needed from them
- Helps to resolve conflict within the team
- Maximizes the contribution of each employee
- Helps to build strong, trust-based relationships with team members
- Makes formal performance reviews easier as there are no surprises
- Raises the bar on performance by keeping focus on what we do and how we do it
- Improves employee engagement and retention through feeling valued and supported
Feedback can be used in all performance situations. For on-track performance, timely feedback and counseling is required to:
- Reinforce the right behavior – this encourages the employee to do it more
- Recognize his/her positive contribution
- Identify stretch opportunities for continued growth
For off-track performance, timely feedback and counseling is required to:
- Identify the problem behavior – bringing it to the employee’s attention
- Understand what is preventing him/her from behaving as expected
- Support the individual to adjust, learn and grow
Feedback and counseling should go beyond formal review points and should be a frequent activity. Managers need to proactively give feedback and counsel employees on a frequent basis to make this ‘normal’ and ‘easy’ for employees.