Emotional Intelligence

 

ritu

Ritu Dadhwal

Citius Tech Inc.

Deputy Manager

 

Emotional Intelligence

 

“Emotional Intelligence (EI) is the ability to monitor one’s own and others’ feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one’s thinking and actions” – John D. Mayer and Peter Salovey. Simply put it means that EI is the ability to use emotions effectively.

A research recently highlighted that a person’s Intelligence Quotient is able to contribute only 20% to their success. The rest of the 80% is contributed by the person’s Emotional Quotient.

EI becomes imperative especially in a formal set up especially for people who deal with not only their emotions but also emotions of others. In an organization what differentiates good leaders from outstanding leaders is their high quotient of Emotional Intelligence. Emotional intelligence may contribute to a leader’s ability to successfully implement changes in an organization.

EI in general, and the extent to which a leader accurately perceives and is able to influence followers emotions in particular, captures the emotion-related abilities or skills result in a leader’s ability to make major changes – Wasielewski (1985) suggests.

When working in teams a manager or leader needs to deal with various emotions and situations. Daniel Goleman believes that outstanding leadership requires a combination of self-mastery and social intelligence, which have two competency areas: perception and skills.

Some of the EI competencies that a leader is required to possess are:

INTRAPERSONAL (self-awareness)                              

  • Self-Regard
  • Emotional Self-Awareness
  • Assertiveness
  • Independence
  • Self-Actualization
  • Self–Confidence
  • Accurate Self-Assessment

 

INTERPERSONAL (social awareness)     

  • Empathy
  • Social Responsibility
  • Interpersonal Relationship
  • Organizational Awareness

 

Effective leaders should generally exhibit one or more competencies from each of the above mentioned domain. As a leader possesses and uses more of these competencies, higher the Emotional Quotient of the leader.

To bring about changes and increase the EI level one needs good coaching and time to change behavior/ approach.

 

 

 

Share ...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on Google+
For any certification programs - http://goo.gl/srsZiD

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *